featuring videos with master religious educators - Jared Dees, Max Engle, Thomas Groome, Patrick Manning, Theresa O'Keefe, Susan Reynolds
Young people today are growing up into a world making complex demands of them: in school, the marketplace, personal relationships, and in the use of technology. Guided by the insights of our team of experts, explore the developing capacities and needs of adolescents. Draw from Scripture and Church teaching to increase your skills as a teacher (or parent) for helping teens understand and deepen their faith, strengthening them as they rise up to respond to the world around them. This course equips catechists and religion teachers with the resources and strategies needed to teach adolescents about the Catholic faith with inspiration and confidence.
- Introductory Week
- Week 1: Who Are My Students?
- Week 2: What Should I Teach?
- Week 3: How Should I Teach? - Part 1. Adolescent Appropriate Strategies
- Week 4: How Should I Teach? - Part 2. Holisitic Student Formation
- Videos with master religious educators;
- Text transcripts of each featured video
- Weekly study guide with questions for reflection and discussion
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
All materials provided in the course.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
- Jared Dees, M.Ed., M.A., (videos) is an author and the creator of the website The Religion Teacher, which provides practical resources and effective teaching strategies to religious educators
- Dr. Max Engel (videos) is assistant professor of education at Creighton University
- Dr. Thomas H. Groome (videos), professor of theology and religious education, Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
- Dr. Patrick Manning (articles and videos) is assistant professor of pastoral theology at the Immaculate Conception Seminary and School of Theology at Seton Hall University
- Dr. Theresa O’Keefe (videos) is associate professor of the practice of youth and young adult faith at Boston College’s School of Theology and Ministry
- Susan B. Reynolds (videos) is a Ph.D. student in Theology and Education at Boston College’s School of Theology and Ministry