Sacramentality is the evidence of God’s presence in the world. Investigate how the sacraments of initiation, healing, and communion help us to recognize this presence throughout our lives. This course examines how each of the seven sacraments integrates the Christian community, empowers us for the mission of discipleship, and brings us into union with Christ.
This course has a required text: Barbara Anne Radtke. Understanding the Sacraments: The Fabric of Our Catholic Lives, Twenty-Third Publications (2018). ISBN-10: 1627854160, ISBN-13: 978-1627854160.
Week 1: Sacramentality and Faith
Week 2: Catholic Initiation
Week 3: Renewal and Sacraments of Healing
Week 4: Service for Communion: Marriage and Holy Orders
This course includes:
- Weekly videos from Jacqueline Regan, associate dean of student affairs and director of liturgies, Boston College School of Theology and Ministry;
- Additional video clips, used to discuss key points;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion;
- A weekly introduction and study guide; and
- A regularly updated Resources page to use for further study.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Certificate Requirement Categories
- Sacraments and Liturgy