This course, developed by Rev. Msgr. James Mongelluzzo, includes videos on the theology of marriage and on preparing a wedding homily, a survey of the Lectionary passages pertaining to the marriage ceremony, as well as recommendations for meeting with the couple. Participants discuss the videos and readings as a community for conversation, guided by a facilitator.
This course is appropriate for anyone who preaches in their ministry, lay or ordained. It is accessible for beginners and can provide experienced preachers a chance to reflect on and deepen their practice.
Week 1: The Theology of Marriage
Week 2: Preparing a Wedding Homily
This course includes:
- Study aide that guides participants through the assignments;
- Weekly questions for discussion and reflection;
- Resource page for further study;
- Links to all reading materials are included;
- Weekly video segments from Touchstones for Preaching (bc.edu/preaching); and
- Text transcripts of each featured video.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
All materials are included in the course.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Certificate Requirement Categories
- Sacraments and Liturgy
- Rev. Paul Turner, S.T.D. (videos), a priest of the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Missouri;
- and Rev. Msgr. James A. Mongelluzzo, S.T.D., a priest of the Diocese of Worcester, Massachusetts, and a faculty member at Pope St. John XXIII National Seminary.