At times we all experience obstacles in our spiritual lives. Join us to discuss difficulties in prayer, and methods for transforming them into a richer experience of God.
About the Book (required text for this course)In Prayer: Our Deepest Longing by Ronald Rolheiser, O.M.I. (Franciscan Media, 2014), Fr. Rolheiser addresses those who desire to deepen their prayer in spite of a hectic and demanding life. Rather than provide strategies to overcome obstacles to prayer, Rolheiser probes the depth of those obstacles themselves.
- Getting Started Week: Introduction to the Course
- Week 1: Struggling in Prayer (Ch. 1)
- Week 2: Hearing God’s Voice in Prayer (Ch. 2)
- Week 3: Priestly and Affective Prayer (Ch. 3 and 4)
- Week 4: Maturity in Prayer (Ch. 5 and 6)
About the Online Book Club
- Are you a person who regularly reads books and articles on spirituality and theology?
- Is the religion and spirituality section of your bookstore a favorite place?
- Do you often wish there was a way that you could share your insights about an author and hear what others think?
The Online Book Club offers a setting to encounter an author’s ideas and participate in conversation with others about a selected text. In addition to providing an experienced facilitator to guide the conversation, we get you started by offering some direction to engage the author and the text. Then the conversation unfolds in light of the interests of those in the conversation circle.
- Initial comments to introduce the book
- Weekly questions to begin the discussion
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study on the topics discussed in this course.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
Ronald Rolheiser. Prayer: Our Deepest Longing (Franciscan Media, 2014)
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
- Rev. Ronald Rolheiser, O.M.I., prolific author and president of the Oblate School of Theology, San Antonio, Texas.