featuring texts, videos, and prayers by members of the Congregation of the Brothers of Saint Francis Xavier and Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools
This course provides a basic overview of the mission and spirituality of the Congregation of the Brothers of Saint Francis Xavier (C.F.X.) and Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools (XBSS). Beginning with the life of Theodore James Ryken, the Founder of the Xaverian Brothers, this course explores the pillars of Xaverian spirituality including the charism, values, and calls, which continue to animate the mission of the Xaverian Brothers and their partners in mission today.
- Introductory Week
- Week 1: Theodore James Ryken: History and Legacy
- Week 2: Fundamental Principles of the Brothers of St. Francis Xavier
- Week 3: The Xaverian Charism
- Week 4: Xaverian Spiritual Values
- Week 5: Calls of Xaverian Mission and Spirituality
- Weekly introductions to each new topic
- Video clips from Xaverian brothers and partners in mission;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly questions for reflection and asynchronous discussion;
- A weekly introduction and study guide; and
- A regularly updated Resources page to use for further study.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation on how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
This course has three required texts which are available online:
- Fundamental Principles of the Brothers of St. Francis Xavier (opens new tab)
- Partners in Mission: Understanding the Xaverian Way (opens new tab)
- Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools Book of Prayers (opens new tab)
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Certificate Requirement Categories
- Spirituality and Prayer
- Themes from Our Christian Tradition
The course texts and videos have been produced by various Xaverian Brothers and educators in the network of Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools. Mr. Benjamin Horgan, the Director of Formation for Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools, helped to coordinate the video presenters and content for the course. Dr. Carolyn Weir Herman, Ph.D. is a systematic theologian and the author of this course. Dr. Herman is also a veteran Crossroads facilitator and the Director of Staff Formation at Xaverian Brothers High School in Westwood, M.A.