This course explores three key events in Luke’s portrayal of Mary as the mother of Jesus: the Annunciation, the Visitation, and, the proclamation of the Canticle of Mary. Explore these and other images of the Blessed Mother through the centuries and what they tell us about the call to trust God’s plan, the active dimension of receiving God’s work, and the value of human encounters for deepening our understanding of the divine work in our lives.
This course has a required text: Catherine Upchurch. Mary, Favored of God. Little Rock Scripture Study, 2016
- Getting Started Week - Introduction to the course
- Week 1 - Annunciation
- Week 2 - Visitation
- Week 3 - the Canticle of Mary
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Three video segments of Mary Christine Athans B.V.M.’s presentation “In Quest of the Jewish Mary” along with access to the unedited presentation;
- Transcripts of the three video segments and the unedited presentation;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study of topics discussed in this course.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
Catherine Upchurch. Mary, Favored of God. Little Rock Scripture Study, 2016.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Certificate Requirement Categories
- Sacred Scripture
- Themes of Our Christian Tradition
Catherine Upchurch; Mary Christine Athans, B.V.M.