Full course description
Does the Gospel of Christ bear fruit in your life? How about in your church?
In Evangelii Gaudium, Pope Francis calls Catholic Christians to ongoing conversion, to bring the joy of Christian discipleship out into the world. It’s a call to become a Church of open-doors and invitation, reaching out to the margins bringing hope, life, and rejoicing to all. In this course, discover how sharing the joy of the Gospel is the very purpose of Christian life. Explore the meaning of “New Evangelization,” and key approaches turning your parish into a vibrant evangelizing community. Together we’ll study Pope Francis’s document and reflect on how to continue to bring the Gospel joy into the 21st century world.
This course has a required text: Pope Francis. Evangelii Gaudium (The Joy of the Gospel).
Getting Started Week: Introduction to the course
Week 1: What is Evangelization?
Week 2: Crisis of Commitment
Week 3: Proclamation and Social Dimension of Religion
Week 4; Social Dimension of Religion (cont’d) and Spirit-filled Evangelizers
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Weekly videos, some exclusively available only in this course;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A page of further resources about topics discussed in this course.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
Course text by Pope Francis. Evangelii Gaudium (The Joy of the Gospel) available for download online
Also available in print (hardback, paperback, ebook)
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Pope Francis (text);
Thomas H. Groome, Ed.D. (video) is Professor of Theology and Religious Education in the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
Jane Regan, Ph.D. (video) is Director of Continuing Education and Associate Professor of Theology and Religious Education in the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
Susan Timoney, S.T.D (video) is Assistant Secretary for Pastoral Ministry and Social Concerns for the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C.