Explore the Scriptures of Advent and Christmas for a richer celebration of these seasons. In this course you will have the opportunity to break open the Church's weekday readings for Advent, with emphasis on the dynamic of promise and fulfillment between the Old and New Testament readings as they are organized in the Lectionary. Then, take a closer look at the infancy narratives, and the distinctive approaches taken by the Evangelists. In addition, there will be recommendations for personal prayer practices in preparation for Christmas. No prior experience in Scripture study is necessary.
Featuring videos with the late Rev. Daniel J. Harrington, S.J.
Week 1: Jesus Foretold and Fulfilled in the Readings of Advent
Week 2: Jesus Fulfilled in the Infancy Narratives
This course includes:
- An introduction and study guide for each week;
- Two streaming video presentations by Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., given previously at Boston College;
- Text transcripts of video presentations in downloadable pdf format;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.