How has parenting impacted your relationship with God? This course builds on the conviction that spirituality is at the heart of parenting. The gift of grace and other spiritual supports can sustain us through the ups and downs of being a parent.
Guided by Kathy Hendrick’s book The Spirituality of Parenting, we will touch on four dimensions of the spirituality of parenthood: vigilance, joy, heaviness, and hope. Share in stories of parenting to discover spiritual gifts, support for the journey, and a new source of prayer.
The course is part of the Adult Faith Formation Library series published by Twenty-Third Publications.
This course has a required text: Kathy Hendricks. The Spirituality of Parenting: Connecting Heart and Soul. The Adult Faith Formation Library. Twenty-Third Publications, 2015. ISBN: 978-1-62785-127-5
- Getting Started Week: Introduction to the course
- Week 1: The Vigilant Heart
- Week 2: The Joyful Heart
- Week 3: The Heavy Heart
- Week 4: The Hopeful Heart
- Video clips from a feature film;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly study guide with questions for reflection and discussion;
- An optional, interactive opportunity to build your insights on the spirituality of parenting into the course content ; and
- A regularly updated Resources page to use for further study.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
Kathy Hendricks. The Spirituality of Parenting: Connecting Heart and Soul. The Adult Faith Formation Library. Twenty-Third Publications, 2015.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
- Kathy Hendricks (text) has a master's degree in adult Christian community development from Regis University in Denver and certification as a spiritual director from Benet Hill Center, Colorado Springs