featuring video with Rev. Michael J. Himes and articles by Dr. Philip A. Cunningham
Let the Scriptures enrich your spiritual life! Matthew shows us a vision of Jesus as incarnate Wisdom, the living Law of God. Explore what it means to live this Law and find out how Emmanuel dwells with those who believe forever. In this course, explore the Gospel of Matthew. In the first week, an article by Dr. Philip A. Cunningham will help participants gain an overview of the Gospel's features, learn about its setting, the Evangelist who wrote it, and the community for which it was written. In the second week, a video featuring Fr. Michael J. Himes will focus on key insights. Then, explore practices to use the Gospel in prayer and reflection about your life. No previous experience in Scripture study is necessary.
Introductory Week: Article and video: "The Writing of the Gospels"
Week 1: "The Living Wisdom of God: Matthew's Portrait of Jesus"
Week 2: "A Closer Reflection on Key Themes in Matthew"
This course includes:
- A guide for reading the Gospel of Matthew by Dr. Philip A. Cunningham;
- A study guide each week to help unpack the assignments;
- A bonus article and video on "The Writing of the Gospels";
- A video presentation by Fr. Michael J. Himes;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion;
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study; and
- A Certificate of Active Participation for those who post at least three messages of substances for each week of content.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
Although a Bible is available online, you may also wish to have a Bible available in hard copy. For online Bibles, we recommend:
- The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops - New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) or
- The Christian Classics Ethereal Library Study Bible - New Revised Standard Edition (NRSV)
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.