Full course description
Symbolized by an eagle, John is distinctive for its lofty spiritual vision, and its spiraling presentation of the message of Jesus. Join our quest through this Gospel to discover a Word of glory. Study the Gospel of John with written and video guidance provided by noted experts Fr. Thomas D. Stegman, S.J., and the late Fr. Daniel J. Harrington, S.J. Each week Fr. Stegman presents a commentary on a designated segment of the Gospel, and participants are also invited to read a commentary by the late Fr. Harrington. By the end of this workshop participants will have a detailed overview of the entire Fourth Gospel. Additional topics addressed include: how John’s Gospel is different from the Synoptic Gospels; the Fourth Gospel and “the Jews”; and how John is used in the Common Lectionary.
NB: There is overlap in the content of this course and the content of the STM Online: Crossroads course “John in Holy Week and Easter.”
This course has a required text: Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., Meeting St. John Today: Understanding the Man, His Mission, and His Message. Chicago: Loyola Press, 2011.
- Getting Started Week: Introduction to the course
- Week 1: Introduction to John and John 1-4 - The Gospel of John is Different
- Week 2: John 5-12
- Week 3: John 13-17 - The Problem of “the Jews”
- Week 4: John 18-21 - John in the Lectionary
- Weekly videos;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study about topics discussed in this course.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
Course text by Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., Meeting St. John Today: Understanding the Man, His Mission, and His Message. Chicago: Loyola Press, 2011. ISBN: 978-0-8294-2917-6.
Although there will be a Bible available online, you may wish to have a Bible available in hard copy also.
For online Bibles, we recommend:
- The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops - New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) (opens new window) or
- The Christian Classics Ethereal Library Study Bible - New Revised Standard Edition (NRSV) (opens new window)
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
- The late Rev. Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., professor of New Testament and editor of New Testament Abstracts, and
- Rev. Thomas D. Stegman, S.J., associate professor of New Testament,
both at the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry.
Certificate Requirement Categories