In Barking to the Choir, Gregory Boyle S.J. writes a second compelling account of his ministry in Homeboy Industries, a collective of enterprises he founded that is centered on a community in which men and women discover that they are more than gang members. Join us in discussing the touching, often humorous, accounts that illustrate God’s presence in the midst of their community. Subtitled “The Power of Radical Kinship,” Boyle shows us how love, joy, and letting go of judgment are formative in shaping a community of resilience and providing space for each individual, including himself, to have a journey of transformation.
Getting Started Week: Introduction
Week 1: Knowing the Joy and Awe of God’s Love
Week 2: Being Humble, Becoming Transformed
Week 3: The Creation of Kinship
About the Online Book Club
Are you a person who regularly reads books and articles on spirituality and theology?
Is the religion and spirituality section of your bookstore a favorite place?
Do you often wish there was a way that you could share your insights about an author and hear what others think?
If you have answered “yes” to any of these questions, whether you are reading for professional development, a committed spiritual practice, or an ongoing hunger to know more about the spiritual life, the Online Book Club is for you! The Online Book Club offers a setting to encounter an author’s ideas and participate in conversation with others about a selected text. In addition to providing an experienced facilitator to guide the conversation, we get you started by offering some direction to engage the author and the text. Then the conversation unfolds in light of the interests of those in the conversation circle.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.