This course provides a basic overview of sacramentality and the seven sacraments in the life of a twenty-first century Catholic. With a sacramental view of life as its backdrop, this course touches on the historical roots, the renewed sacramental rites, and the experience of sacraments and sacramentality. Videos of sacramental celebrations and suggestions for spiritual practice are offered to enhance the exploration of the content and to deepen discipleship.
This course has a required text: Barbara Anne Radtke. Understanding the Sacraments: The Fabric of Our Catholic Lives, Twenty-Third Publications (2018). ISBN-10: 1627854160, ISBN-13: 978-1627854160.
Week 1: Sacramentality: At the Heart of Catholic Life
Week 2: Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist
Week 3: Healing: Eucharist, Reconciliation, and Anointing of the Sick
Week 4: At the Service of Communion: Vocation, Holy Orders, and Marriage
This course includes:
- Video clips;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion;
- A weekly introduction and study guide; and
- A regularly updated Resources page to use for further study.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Additional Materials Needed
Barbara Anne Radtke. Understanding Sacraments: The Fabric of Our Catholic Lives. Twenty-Third Publications, 2018.
Dr. Barbara Radtke (text) is an adjunct professor and former instructional designer for the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry. Sr. Kathleen Hughes, R.S.C.J., (video) was professor of word and worship for 19 years at Catholic Theological Union, Chicago, and served as provincial of the United States Province of the Society of the Sacred Heart. Rev. Msgr. James Mongelluzzo (videos) is a priest of the Diocese of Worcester, Massachusetts, and serves on the faculty at Pope St. John XXIII National Seminary.