featuring text by Dr. Morris Pelzel and videos of faculty from Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
The church embodies a series of core dynamics: divine invitation and human response; gathering in order to be sent; membership and mission. Reflecting theologically on the way in which these dynamics are expressed in the church today makes up the discipline of “ecclesiology.” Through this course, we explore the nature of the Church including discussion of ministries, the Church’s foundation in word and sacrament, and the call to be an evangelizing people about the work of transforming the world in light of the Gospel.
- Introductory Week
- Week 1: The Gathering of Disciples
- Week 2: Living Baptism in the Church Today
- Week 3: Rooted in Word and Sacrament
- Week 4: Forming an Evangelizing Church
- Week 5: The Church’s Mission
This course includes:
- Video clips;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion;
- A weekly introduction and study guide; and
- A regularly updated Resources page to use for further study.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Certificate Requirement Categories
Themes of Our Christian Tradition